At Meadowside Primary School, we aim to develop pupils’ mathematical skills and confidence with the belief that everyone can achieve. We follow a mastery approach to the teaching of maths, based around Maths-No Problem! teaching methods and structure from Year 1 to 6. We place a strong emphasis on problem solving and discussion within the teaching and learning to help make mathematics engaging and interesting.
We support our children to develop a profound understanding of fundamental maths by developing the core competencies for maths:
- Metacognition – thinking about thinking – How do you know? Developed through discussion.
- Visualisation – using resources or creating an image to represent a situation to make sense of it.
- Generalisation – drawing general statements from specific cases (pattern spotting).
- Number Sense – seeing where it is appropriate to use known number facts.
- Communication – communicating mathematical ideas using precise mathematical vocabulary both verbally and in writing.
To support our children in building a strong recall of core number facts, we subscribe to Numbots and TT Rockstars. Having a secure recall of number facts ensures that children become confident mathematicians, able to apply their learning to a range of different contexts.
The following documents outline the Maths-No Problem curriculum and the school overviews for each year group