View the embedded image gallery online at:
Meet Jeff, The Reading and Therapy Dog
Jeff is a regular attender at Meadowside Primary School as a Reading and Therapy Dog. Jeff is a Cavapoo dog. Cavapoos are a breed of dog that are known for their mild temperament and hypo-allergenic coats.
Jeff is Mrs Garnham's dog and lives at home with her.
As a leadership team we have undertaken a significant amount of research and are aware of many benefits to having a school dog including:
- a calming effect on pupils
- improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging expression, participation and confidence for all children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- motivating pupils to think and to learn, as most children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
- helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational the improvements with low achievers
- helping children build confidence in reading
- improving attendance.
Dogs are increasingly being used in schools with great success and some of you may have seen in the media that they are now being used in some hospitals as the emotional health benefits they bring are just so vast.
Jeff comes into school on certain days of the week and helps pupils in many ways. He will encourage and motivate pupils who find reading tricky by letting them read to him. On top of this, he will help pupils who might be upset or worried about something and he will be seen with children who have earned ‘Jeff time’ as a reward for their good work or behaviour.
We will publish pictures of our school dog via our Twitter feeds so that everyone can enjoy his development and Meadowside Matters will provide regular ‘pupdates’. Follow Jeff at @Jeffmeadowside
Jeff has the full approval of the Governing Body, a full risk assessment Dogs in school Policy have been completed and ratified by the Governing Body.